Office Services

As your Member of Parliament, Fin and his team are working hard to serve the people of New Westminster-Coquitlam & Port Moody. The Community Office team is available to help residents navigate through and resolve issues with federal government departments, programs and services, including:

The Community Office team is also here to support community initiatives, and arrange special messages for occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. Most importantly, our team works diligently to ensure people in our community have a strong voice in Ottawa. If you are travelling to Ottawa and would like to see your Member of Parliament in action, please contact our Ottawa office.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before visiting the community office, it is always best to call ahead and make an appointment to ensure a staff member is available to assist you in a timely manner. If no one is available to take your call immediately, please leave your name, postal code, telephone number, along with a brief message regarding the reason for your call. Every effort is made to return calls promptly

The constituency office may be able to provide referrals to community resources to assist you, but CANNOT assist directly with matters that are before a court of law, or an appeal board.


Government of Canada Programs and Services

If you are interested in looking up information on government programs and services, information can be found by dialing a toll-free information line at 1-800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) TTY: 1-800-926-9105, clicking, or visiting a Service Canada Centre. Please check their website or call 1-800-O-Canada for a list of service centres near you.


Parliamentary Business

Information on Parliament can be found at the Parliamentary website.


Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

Please visit the Canada Revenue website for general information.

Most Canada Revenue forms and tax credit applications are available online at CRA Forms and Publications.

If you have other tax issues, such as Child Tax Benefit or Disability Tax Credit issues, contact the office for assistance.


Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

For information about general retirement benefits, please go to the CPP general benefits section.

For information about CPP Disability eligibility and benefits, please go to the CPP Disability section.


Old Age Security Program (OAS)

The Old Age Security (OAS) program, the cornerstone of Canada’s retirement income system, provides you with a modest pension at age 65 if you have lived in Canada for at least 10 years. Note that in 2012, the Conservative government raised the age of eligibility from 65 to 67.

If you are a low-income earner, you may be eligible for other benefits as early as age 60. For detailed information, please visit the OAS website.


Employment Insurance (EI)

EI (Employment Insurance) provides temporary financial assistance for unemployed Canadians while they look for work or upgrade their skills. Canadians who are sick, pregnant or caring for a newborn or adopted child, as well as those who must care for a family member who is seriously ill with a significant risk of death, may also be assisted by EI.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is responsible for providing all Canadians with the tools they need to thrive and prosper in an inclusive labor market. Please visit ESDC's EI website.

You may also complete your EI reports online by going to EI's Internet Reporting Service.

If you are experiencing unusually long delays or difficulties in filing your EI claim, contact Fin's office for assistance.

NOTE: If you are filing an appeal on an EI claim decision, our office cannot assist with the preparation of, nor intervene in, the appeal process.


Canadians Travelling Abroad

It is important to be prepared and to expect the unexpected while abroad. By preparing carefully in advance, you can prevent serious and costly problems for you and your family. REMEMBER your passport is the only proof of your Canadian citizenship and identity that is accepted in all countries. You and all family members should have a valid passport if you plan to travel outside Canada. Permission to enter another country is the sole prerogative of that country. Verify in advance whether your destination country or countries require a visa for entry, and apply well in advance.

In the event of an emergency abroad, the Department of Foreign Affairs' Emergency Operations Centre is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It offers emergency assistance in case of an for Canadian citizens in need of emergency consular services while abroad.

For more information, visit


Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is Canada’s official source of citizenship and immigration information. For information about immigrating to Canada and visas for work, study and visiting, please visit the CIC website.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada recieves tens of thousands of applications every year. Application processing times vary greatly depending on application class and location. We encourage constituents to check current processing times before contacting our office to seek an update on an application.

NOTE: Fin's office cannot speed up the processing of an immigration application, nor obtain special updates on immigration files which are within normal processing times and standards.

Constituents who have sponsored or made an immigration application can obtain their own status updates by utilizing CIC's online service at Client Application Status, or by calling the national CIC Call Centre Service at 1-888-242-2100.