Coast Guard Cuts
Canada's New Democrats are speaking out on behalf of British Columbians who oppose the Conservative government's decision to shut-down the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station, as well as the MCTS centres in Comox, Tofino and Vancouver.
Experts agree that closing the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station is a bad decision. Response times will increase. The number of officers on watch will be reduced. Even a Canadian Coast Guard internal report warned this “may lead to increased casualties”.
After the decision was first announced in 2012, I co-hosted a Town Hall Meeting with NDP Defense Critic Jack Harris. We heard a variety of perspectives, and all were in agreement that the Conservative government is neglecting their mandate to protect British Columbians. I agree this reckless cut will put people at risk and endanger lives.
I have stood in the House repeatedly over the past few years, demanding the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans reverse this government's short-sighted, reckless decision.
It's important that Canadians continue to speak up and let this government know that it must change course and save our Kits Coast Guard Station.
Make Your Voice Heard
Download a petition, which I can table in the House of Commons. To date we have received thousands of signatures in support of reversing the government's reckless cuts to our Coast Guard services.
In the Media
- Press Release - UBCM Rejects Conservative Plan to Close Kits Coast Guard Station (Sep 26, 2012)
- Press Release - Leaked Report Confirms Fears about Kits Coast Guard Closure: Donnelly calls on Ashfield to reverse proposed closure (Sep 7, 2012)
- Open Letter to Minister Ashfield - Don't Shut Down the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station (Jun 7, 2012)
- Press Release - Kitsilano Cut an Unacceptable Risk for BC: Donnelly (May 22, 2012)
- Press Release - Conservative Cuts Threaten Marine Safety (February 26, 2015)
- Press Release - VANCOUVER SPILL REINFORCES NEED FOR BETTER OIL SPILL PREPAREDNESS (April 9, 2015)
- Press Release - CONSERVATIVES’ FAILURE TO PREPARE FOR OIL SPILLS PUTTING CANADA’S COASTS AT RISK (April 10, 2015)
- Press Release - NEW DEMOCRATS RAMP UP CAMPAIGN TO REVERSE HARPER’S COAST GUARD CUTS (April 14, 2015)
- Question Period (Oct 1, 2012)
- Question Period (Sep 17, 2012)
- Speech - Debate on Motion to Reverse Closures to Coast Guard Stations and Cuts to Marine Services (Jun 6, 2012)
- Press Release - Cuts to Coast Guard Station Put British Columbians At Risk (May 31, 2012)